Thursday, 24 November 2011

Our Dog's 'Reference'

Today I received a copy of the report that the Dog Assessor has written for our dog.

What a glowing reference! I'm going to type it out word for word because it's so good.


General demeanour in house:

When I arrived at the house I was met in the hallway by the dog. He came to me wagging his tail in a gentle manner. I immediately fussed him, he totally accepted the attention that I gave him, despite me being a complete stranger walking into the house. I interacted with the dog constantly during my time spent at the home.


He did not display any nervousness or aggressive behaviour during my visit.


General demeanour outside: Excellent

On our walk the dog was totally unfazed by my presence. This dog responded immediately to any command given. He did not pull on the lead, walking perfectly to heel.


He did not respond adversely to traffic or any pedestrians we encountered.


General overall control: Excellent


The dog responded immediately to all basic commands. This dog is very responsive and has been to training/agility classes. His owner's timing of commands is excellent.


I did not see any disobedience displayed by the dog during my visit.


Risk Assessment: Low Risk


The dog is a neutered eleven year old Collie Cross dog.

He has a friendly, gentle temperament. He is eager to be fussed but does not jump up or get over excited. Good house rules are in place in the family home, child gates are at the bottom of the stairs and on the lounge door.

The dog when commanded will go to his bed under the stairs, when time alone with a child is needed, utilizing the child gate this is an excellent set up for segregation.


This dog clearly knows his place in the family home. The training/agility classes that have been attended have clearly paid dividends.

This kind dog will appeal to any dog loving child. I have emphasised to his owners not to let the dog be overpowered with too much affection.


I made a complete nuisence of myself with this dog, I pulled his tail and twisted his ears, without any reaction.


When I deliberately disturbed him as he slept, in order to assess him further, he reacted kindly, totally accepting the attention I forced upon him.


I have no concerns over this dog's temperament.



The report came with our dog's photo on the front, which I assume is just in case we'd borrowed someone else's dog for the assessment :-)


How good is that report? I'm really pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment